Paradise on Earth, "Valparadise"

Valparaíso

For the central region of Chile, I could go with its capitol Santiago, but my favorite city in this area is Valparaíso. I personally like calling it “Valparadise” playing into the very literal translation to English, but this city is truly a paradise on its own, so I think the name is very fitting. It is also known as the “Jewel of the Pacific” for its beautiful and colorful landscapes and characteristic street art in almost every building of its cerros (hills). 



There are many cerros to explore and discover in the different neighborhoods of Valpo, as a kid with my family we used to visit Cerro Esperanza because my mom grew up there and my grandmother had a house in that hill. 

Cerro Esperanza

But as I’ve grown up, I love visiting Cerro Alegre every time I find myself in Valparaíso. Its colorful streets, outside markets in the summer, hidden restaurants, and getting lost in between the old buildings is what makes it such a special place in my opinion. 

my cousin, my dad, and me in Cerro Alegre

What I enjoy about visiting the fifth region, also called Valparaíso, is that there are multiples cities to also visit that are surrounding Valpo. Of course, the most popular is Viña Del Mar (my birth city!) with its multiple beaches, malls, markets, and the multiple kilometers of coast to walk while overlooking the sea. Other not so popular small cities like Quilpué, Limache, Olmué.







Comments

  1. These pictures are so beautiful! I've seen this many times, but the more what you've posted, plus you're own personal experience makes me want to go visit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not a diamond in the rough, but the Pearl of the North!