Not a diamond in the rough, but the Pearl of the North!

Antofagasta

The city of Antofagasta, known amongst Chileans as “The Pearl of the North” is a coastal city right in the heart of the Atacama Desert located in the second region named after its biggest city, Antofagasta. The Pearl of the North is known for its large number of beaches and natural monument of La Portada.

La Portada


 I’m technically not from the north, but I lived there ever since I was 6 up until I turned 18 so I’m basically “Antofagastina” by heart since it is my hometown after all. Even though it is not one of the most visited cities within the country, there a few places that locals enjoy. 

The Costanera in Antofagasta

One of the big plans during the summer season, is to take a trip to beach towns in the outskirts of the city like Mejillones, Juan Lopez, and Hornitos, all located anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half from Antofagasta by car. 

me and my family in the Balneario Beach

If you like laid back plans like going to chill at local beaches and watch the sunset, or more entertaining excursions like hiking the many dunes surrounding the city, paragliding over it, and even sandboarding this is the place for you to visit! 

Comments

  1. I like your type of writting the articles , they are written in a warm and honest way . Your blog seems like a discussion with a family member . Keep it going , we want to see more about your country and its culture!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment